The Graduate School of
Asian and African
Area Studies (ASAFAS)
Tembea (Staff Only)
Jiro TanakaEmeritus professor
I have conducted researches of ecological anthropology on hunter-gatherers (Bushmen and Mbuti Pygmies) and nomadic pastoralists (Rendille, Pokot, and Turkana) in Africa. In particular, I conducted a detailed observational study on the dietary life and group structure of the Central Bushmen. Since the 1980s, I have been engaged in field-based research related to socio-cultural changes in Bushmen society resulting from their settlement in permanent residences and increasing contact with the outside world.
Major / Research Topics / Keywords
Anthropology, Area study, Kalahari desert, Hunter-Gatherer, Bushmen, Modernization, Indigenous people
Japanese Society of Cultural Anthropology
Japan Association For African Studies
The Society for Ecological Anthropology
- 2014 Jiro Tanaka 『The Bushmen: A Half-Century Chronicle of Transformations in Hunter-Gatherer Life and Ecology』 (Translated by Minako Sato) Kyoto University Press & Trans Pacific Press, 272pp.
- 2001 Jiro Tanaka & M. Ichikawa "Introduction" African Study Monographs, Supplementary Issue 26 (eds. By J. Tanaka & M. Ichikawa): 1-8.
- 1986 Jiro Tanaka A Study on Human Behavior and Adaptation in Arid Area of Africa, Research Group for the Study on Human Behavior and Adaptation in Arid Area of Africa, Hirosaki University.
- 1984 Jiro Tanaka African Study Monographs, Supplementary Issue 3, 93pp.
- 1980 Jiro TanakaThe SAN Hunter-Gagherers of the Kalahari: A Study in Ecological Anthropology (Translated by: David W. Hughes) University of Tokyo Press, 200pp.
- 1980 Jiro Tanaka "Introduction" A Study of Ecological Anthropology on Pastoral and Agrico-Pastoral Peoples in Northern Kenya Kyoto University Primate Research Institute, pp.1-9.
- 1980 Jiro Tanaka "Residential Pattern and Livestock Management among the Pastoral Pokot" A Study of Ecological Anthropology on Pastoral and Agrico-Pastoral Peoples in Northeren Kenya (J. Tanaka ed.) Kyoto University Primate Research Institute, pp.78-95.
- 1978 Jiro Tanaka A San Vocabulary of the Central KalahariAfrican languages and ethnography VII, Institute for Languages and Cultures of Asia and Africa, 158pp.
- 1999 Jiro Tanaka "The Eighth International Conference on Hunting and Gathering Societies (CHAGS8) by P.J. Mathews, J. Tanaka and S. Koyama", Research reports pf National Museum of Ethnology 23(4): 809-813.
- 1999 Jiro Tanaka & Kazuyoshi Sugawara "/Gui and //Gana" The Cambridge Encyclopedia of Hunters and Gatherers edited by Richard B. Lee and Richard Daly : 195-199. Cambridge University Press : Cambridge.
- 1996 Jiro Tanaka "The World of Animals Viewed by the San" African Study Monographs, Supplementary Issue 22: 11-28.
- 1991 Jiro Tanaka "Egalitarianism and the Cash Economy among the Central Kalahari San" Senri Ethnological Studies No.30 "Cash, Commodiｔisation and Changing Foragers eds. By Nicolas Peserson and Toshio Matsuyama: 117-134. National Museum of Ethnology.
- 1990 Jiro Tanaka "Comment to 'Paradigmatic history of San-Speaking peoples and current attempts at revision' by E.N. Wilmsen and J.R. Denbow" Current anthropology 31(5): 515-516.
- 1989 Jiro Tanaka "Social Integration of the San Society from the Viewpoint of Sexual Relationships" African Study Monographs 9(3): 153-165.
- 1987 Jiro Tanaka"The Recent Changes in the Life and Society of the Central Kalahari San" African Study Monographs 7: 37-51.
- 1986 Jiro Tanaka "Change of Life and Society of the Central Kalahari San" A Study on Human Behavior and Adaptation in Arid Area of Africa: 1-10. Research Group for the Study on Human Behavior and Adaptation in Arid Area of Africa, Hirosaki University .
- 1982 Jiro Tanaka "Adaptation to Arid Environment : A Comparative Study of Hunter-Gatherers and Pastoralists in Africa" African Study Monographs; Supplementary Issue 1: 1-12. The Reserch Committee for African Area Study Kyoto University .
- 1981 Jiro Tanaka "On Residential Pattern and Livestock Management among the Pastoral Pokot: A Preliminary Report" Kerio Valley - Past, Present and Future Proceedings of a Seminar held in Nairobi at the Institute of African Studies, University of Nairobi. May 21-22, 1981: 55-60.
- 1979 Jiro Tanaka "A Study of the Comparative Ecology of African Gatherer-Hunters with Special Reference to San(Bushman-Speaking People) and Pygmies" Senri Ethnological Studies No.1. Africa 1: 189-212. National Museum of Ethnology.
- 1976 Jiro Tanaka "Subsistence Ecology of Central Kalahari San" Kalahari Hunter-Gatherers: 98-119. Harvard University Press. Cambridge, Mass.
- 1973 Jiro Tanaka "Social Structure of the Bushmen" Behavioral Regulators of Behavior in Primates: 81-84. Bucknell University Press, Lewisburg.
- 1969 Jiro Tanaka "The Ecology and Social Structure of Central Kalahari Bushumen; A Preliminary Report" Kyoto University African Studies Vol. 3: 1-26. The Committee of the Kyoto University Africa Primatological Expedition, Kyoto University.
- 1968 Jiro Tanaka "Sosical Structure of the Bushmen" Proceedings of Ⅷth International Congress of Anthropological and Ethnological Sciences: 295-296.
- 1965 Jiro Tanaka "Social structure of Nilgiri Langurs" Journal of Primatology 16(1): 107-122.
Top of the page