The Graduate School of
Asian and African
Area Studies (ASAFAS)
Tembea (Staff Only)
I have examined various aspects of African agriculture from the standpoint of human-plant relations (agricultural science, anthropology, ecology, the origins of plant domestication, ethnobotany, and theory of domestication, etc.). I study the challenges faced by communities as they undergo development through the analysis of useful plants as cultural resources that have been cultivated by African peoples and local knowledge related thereto.
Major / Research Topics / Keywords
Anthropology / Relationship between man and plants in indigenous agriculture in Africa / Development and Education / Research on sleep culture
Japanese Society of Cultural Anthropology
Japan Association For African Studies
Japan Association for Nilo-Ethiopian Studies
The Society of Biosophia Studies
- Shigeta, M., B.A. Tarsitani and S. Tarsitani. (eds.) 2010. Preserving Local Knowledge in the Horn of Africa: Challenges and Prospects for Collaborative Research in Oral Literature, Music and Ritual Practices. African Study Monographs Supplementary Issues, No. 41:1-151 .
- Shigeta, M. and Y. D. Gebre (eds.) 2005. Environment, Livelihood and Local Praxis in Asia and Africa. African Study Monographs, Supplementary Issues, No. 29: 1-215.
- Brandt S., Anita Spring, Clifton Hiebsch, J. Terrence McCabe, Endale Tabogie, Mulugeta Diro, Gizachew Wolde-Michael, Gebre Yntiso, Masayoshi Shigeta, and Shiferaw Tesfaye 1997. The Tree against Hunger, American Association for the Advancement of Science, v+56p, Co-authored with S. Brandt et al.
- Shigeta, M., K. Fukui and E. Kurimoto (eds.) 1997. Ethiopia in Broader Perspective, Shokado Book Sellers, Vol. 1: 728p. Vol. 2: 815p. Vol. 3: 892p.
- Shigeta, M.,1997. Essence of indigenous sustainability and diversity: Ensete system, In Ethiopia in Broader Perspective, Shokado Book Sellers, Vols. 3, pp. 883-892, eds. K. Fukui, E. Kurimoto & M. Shigeta.
- Shigeta, M.,1996. Creating landrace diversity: The case of the Ari people and ensete (Ensete ventricosum) in Ethiopia, In Redefining Nature: Ecology, Culture and Domestication. Berg Pub. Ltd. pp. 233-268, eds. R. Ellen & K. Fukui.
- Shigeta, M.,1996. Multipurpose utilization of enset among the Ari in southwestern Ethiopia, In Enset-Based Sustainable Agriculture in Ethiopia, Institute of Agricultural Research, Addis Ababa, pp. 121-131, eds. Tsedeke A. et al.
Top of the page